24 September 2024

CONCUSSION

 


How am I not supposed to follow CONCUSSION (NY) with CONCUSSION (NC)? The decision makes itself. First impression/s are a mishmash of DAMNED and the My America, which doesn't make sense but it's an impression more than a description, you know? Once you let it settle though, CONCUSSION are clearly rooted in '90s USDIY punk and they seem determined to breathe new life into an approach that's tried and true. Wild how many blips I hear that inspire comparisons - I swear I hear CRIMINAL DAMAGE, AVAIL and THE SIPTS in "Silence" (not coincidentally, it's the best song on the tape). The guitar sit on top of a gloriously raw recording with crash cymbals piercing the mix, cementing the Great Decade vibes.  Maybe though.....maybe it is okay (or would have been okay) for me to just say that I really like this tape, and I wonder if I can dig up another CONCUSSION for tomorrow (suggestions/submissions welcome).


No comments: