21 August 2024

VIBRATORS

File VIBRATORS along with the scores of starter bands that I never really dug into - and I wonder if the proliferation of access to literally everything means that new/er generations of punk listeners are more (or less) likely to completely skip over the starters. If you can click-click-stream-click your way to CAMERA SILENS and DEEF and COLERA and DEVIATED INSTINCT then maybe you end up skipping over the classics the same way that punk listeners in the '80s may have eschewed LOVERBOY and NIGHT RANGER. Also, maybe that's a shitty analogy, but the point is that VIBRATORS were one of the first, they’ve been consistently cranking out records for 45 years…I don't think I could name you a single song aside from “Automatic Lover.” So when several sessions started popping up on live tapes I've been ripping the past few days I figured maybe it was a sign and I paid attention...not surprisingly, the shit is good. I collected a few of those sessions here:
Peel Session • January 1977 (choice cut: "Pogo Dancing")
1976 Demos (choice cut: "Young Lust")
1977 Demos (choice cut: "Public Enemy #1" - this session has been given a proper release and is widely available)
Like a lot of first wave UK punk the direct connection to bluesy rock 'n roll is front and center, but there's a real nice dark almost psychedelic bent to a few tracks here...but punk listeners already know this. Gonna go click-click-stream-click and crank Pure Mania on my way to work today...and appreciate the fact that I will be listening to punk music for the first time until my last breath.

1 comment:

Vince said...

the more i'm growing older, the more i listen to punk stuff i used to call weak but in fact aren't. it was just things i wasn't interested in hearing i guess. flying duck theory is another good one from the vibrators. after all, when a band use the name of one your song as their moniker, it's a sign they cant be bad!