09 July 2023

WRECKING CREW

 



I'm pretty sure it was Chris(tine) who turned me onto this record, which was probably less than ten years old at the time. In general terms I was more of a Midwest/West Coast guy (geographically and sonically), but I was always hungry for sound in that pre-internet reality...and this Boston shit? Yeah, I was all in. Zero bullshit full throttle hardcore punk with tinges of metallic crossover and intense marble mouthed vocals - Balance Of Terror is a second tier starter record for lots of folks and for good reason. Sonically, WRECKING CREW land somewhere between CRUCIFIX and NYHC....but in 1989 I suppose that meant they sounded dated to some (guessing here, I was teasing my hair and putting songs by THE CURE on mixtapes for girls in 1989). Never mind the context though, the record fukkn slams and still gets frequent spins at TEHQ. When my pal Mike asked if I wanted his tape copy....? I wasn't bummed. 





No comments: