27 February 2023

EYES OF CROW

 



Textbook raw DBeat - "A Guerra Continua" is one of the most perfect examples of the (sub)genre I've ever heard - a one chord riff into a three chord chorus, driven by blown out cardboard box drums and howling anguish. EYES OF CROW are so brutally simple that you feel like you've heard every song before, and it's that simplicity that makes this demo work. I was fukkn hungry for each track because I knew what was waiting for me, and then "Katastrofe" starts and the guitars are buried and it sounds so dark and ominous...like a door is closing. And then it's over. In less than ten minutes, my faith in ramshackle DBeat hardcore - a faith that has never wavered - has been strengthened by a seven year old cassette from Spain. Sometimes, punk works in mysterious ways, and sometimes it just hits you in the face.





No comments: