11 February 2020

NO CLASS


This demo dropped right after I moved back to California, and I remember getting super Midwest nostalgia as soon as I heard it. Never had any connection to the dudes involved, it just sounded like a thing I would have rubbed elbows with if I had still lived in the Great North American Middle Swath. Several tracks made it onto the 2010 Deranged LP with the same title and, while that session sounds decided more pro, I kinda still love the fukkd 4-track sound on this demo (take the horrifically mixed gang vocals on "You're Over" as a prime example). Brilliantly warbled guitar pretty much throughout, and a snarl reminiscent of CARDIAC ARRECT from the other side of Missouri. It's tough, nasty hardcore, and I'm still into it. 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fukken love this band. Feels cobbled together, almost like power-violence that was improvised and then played band and practiced enough to get the act on stage. Lightning quick changes in time/speed/signature. I absolutely love a 45 second hardcore song that somehow has 3 or 4 different sounding parts. And the vocals are delivered straight-ahead. No gruff impersonation or stylization. Just pure anger and barking. From the gut. The back of the lungs. Not the front of the throat. This band should have way bigger recognition. They have a live set recorded on WFMU you can find in the music archives that's absolutely smoking and gets regular play every so often by yours truly.