05 January 2020

NAKED AGGRESSION


I could go off on so many tangents here...I first crossed paths with NAKED AGGRESSION in Albuquerque in 1992, I did a show for them in Norman, Oklahoma in 1993, Karoline's world in Wisconsin overlapped with theirs before they relocated to the Bay Area as the darlings of MRR...and then quickly moved to LA.  The first two EPs have survived innumerable record purges over the years, and I'm not really even sure why, but their brand of idealistic "we can do it!" punk somehow still hits a nerve. Attended the recording of March March Alive at Gilman where Kirtsten encouraged the crowd to scream and sing along, but please don't bump the microphones or get too crazy because they were recording a live record (checking the date***, it must have been one of my first trips to Gilman, in fact). Decided to skip the show at Cocodrie in '98 - the show that they cancelled because their guitarist Phil died - then our entire house drove to Chicago to see the "intimate" Fireside Bowl show on the mid '00s reunion tour and went home with virtually all of the raffle prizes. Crossed paths with them on several (and/or countless) SUBHUMANS tours and am constantly amazed at how Kirsten's punk revolutionary-by-way-of-school teacher vibe keeps appealing to new crops of kids....and it does. I still hang onto everything up until (but not including) 1998's Gut Wringing Machine, but I think that aside from those first EPs recorded while the band was still in Madison with Nate and Cyrus on bass and drums, 1994's March March Along is the high point. It's (slightly) less cheesy, and the songs are just good fast idealistic punk. I don't need it every day, but I'm always happy when I put it on. And yeah, I still have the record and the tape. 

No comments: