14 January 2020

KLIPSPRINGER


KLIPSPRINGER are probably a "time and place" band for most listeners, but I was there...and I was there then, so these tracks are way more than a simple blip on my radar. Norman, Oklahoma was a typical early '90s college town, and the bands that played there ultimately reflected that reallity. The crusters were in Oklahoma City and the skinheads and basement hardcores were (mostly) in Tulsa...we had THE NIXONS, THE FLAMING LIPS, FOR LOVE NOT LISA, DEATHROW BODEEN (please tell me there's a recording that someone can send me), CHAINSAW KITTENS, GLUE, TALL TALES, SOUL SHAKER...and KLIPSPRINGER, who didn't seem cool enough to live in anyone's world but their own. Listen to these jammers with 2020 hearing (see what I did there?) and there's so much more than friend rock - fuzzed out power pop by way of college/alt with a serious psychedelic bent and/or STOOGES fetish. The closest comparison I can really make is San Francisco's FANTASY - sadly another time and place band for most folks - it's kinda glam, kinda pop, kinda "alternative" but when we were all trying to figure out what the fukk that actually meant. "Sleeping" and "Spit" are the two choice tracks, so I suppose it's suitable that they open and close this 1993 recording....dive in and take yourself to another reality. 


1 comment:

mike said...

Klipspringer still play every once and awhile down in old Norman,OK(aka Nompton,OK)I've seen them many times over 20 plus years often boozing it up at afterparties that always seemed to form when they would gig in Norman. Much props to them!