I listened to this from start to finish without typing a single word. Then I listened again intending to start writing as it played....but I didn't type a single word. I mean, I know the sounds and I know more or less where they come from. They are familiar, but my interest is intent and deliberate as it would be if I were hearing something I could not contextualize. This is like listening to a modern abrasive record recorded by someone who was introduced to hardcore through SOAD and DEFTONES but quickly made their way to WEEDEATER, BORN AGAINST and UNSANE (not in that order) without ever forgetting that their older sister loaned them a WHITE ZOMBIE tape when they were in sixth grade. END YOU sounds like none of this and hits like all of it and....and now maybe you see why I keep listening to try to figure out what's going on and where it came from. When "Equinox" starts I remember watching KARMA TO BURN in a coffee shop in Kansas in 1995 but then I really don't know what to think after that. "Alt Delete" is mid-paced hardcore terror at its finest, "Copstomp" is as brutally intense as the title suggests except that the sonic violence is intelligent (because stomping cops is smart, apparently) and "The Call" is a dark and deliberate modern sludge/hardcore masterpiece. It's not that this recording is all over the place; this shit is everywhere all at once and its overwhelming. The "It Gazes Back" closes the tape and honestly I feel like I need to go back to the beginning. END YOU was (is?) a one-person recording project, and it almost makes you wonder why full bands even bother. Repeat listens highly recommended - this one just gets better and more interesting.

===========================
Unrelated: REALISTIC is recording today. It will sound nothing like this, but it's not supposed to.

===========================
Unrelated: REALISTIC is recording today. It will sound nothing like this, but it's not supposed to.

No comments:
Post a Comment