30 July 2020

T.A.B!


There were these kids from Wisconsin who I didn't really know when we moved (back) there in 2002/03. Some of them were around, some of them didn't live in Milwaukee and only showed up every now and then, and most of them were several years younger than the remnants of the '90s scenes that we were already friends with. This is all to say that I knew them, but our inner circles didn't really intersect. That changed over the years, and I ended up doing shows with some of them, even played in a couple of (very brief) projects with people rooted in that world, and I consider several of them friends today. But, I still find myself surprised when I go back and listen to some of the bands, and I wonder why they were not absolutely kicking my ass 17 years ago. Maybe I was too concerned with a Swedish DBeat, or something about the haphazard spastic energy just didn't grab me for some stupid reason but, while it was obvious that these bands were good, I don't think I acknowledged that they were great. I'll rectify that now: TAB! are great. These kids took early Midwest hardcore by the horns and refused to drag it out of the basement. Songs about diet soda, energy from adolescence. Eight minutes of magic. 


No comments: