18 July 2020

SHOTWELL


I was talking about SHOTWELL the other day and I realized that I hadn't listened to SHOTWELL in a while. Y'all know Jimmy is a savant, right? He can drive you batty if you aren't on the same level of inebriation or wavelength of reality that he he on at that exact moment, but if the world we just Jimmys, then the world would be a really beautiful place. A really odd place, but a really beautiful place. You know when you walk into a room and the light is different and you squint a bit just to help your eyes communicate to your brain what you're actually seeing? Well, that's what it's like to listen to a new (or, in this case, a different) SHOTWELL recording. It's going to be great, maybe even brilliant, but you may need to squint your ears to help your brain adjust to what it is you are hearing. Unless, of course, you are currently experiencing the exact level of inebriation and are currently surfing the exact same reality wave that Jimmy was surfing when he made the sounds. That's just the way shit works folks...and it's worth it. 

But my point really, is that during that conversation about SHOTWELL, I learned that Jimmy was in X-TAL. First thought is "How the fukk did I not know that Jimmy was in X-TAL?" Second thought is: "Damn, I haven't listened to that shit in years, but I wore Reason is 6/7 of Treason LP threadbare when I lived in Oklahoma." A genuinely brilliant but unilaterally unheralded relic from the college/alt-before-it-was-called-indie-rock era. 

3 comments:

alex said...

I think jimmy has objected to being on the internet and the link (rightfully) doesn't seem to work

the wizard said...

Thanks for the nudge on the link (now fixed) - Jimmy and I will discuss, but hopefully he doesn't melt in the meantime.

Anonymous said...

Jimmy loves Ebay