Nostalgia is a frequent visitor to these pages; I suppose it comes with the territory when you're posting old(er) sounds and documents alongside newer versions, the comparisons provide context and the nostalgia is inevitable. We can't live in it though. We can't live in what used to be or what we used to have or what we used to be a part of. We can, however, use those lived experiences as a starting point for new ones. Somehow this wisdom relates to DISSÖLVE's debut release Oathbreaker and how I feel as I listen to twelve blasts of furious hardcore from Indonesia. This could have been a band I heard twenty (five?) years ago...ballistic crust tinged with DBeat and fastcore fronted by throat searing vocals from Sleepy...and those words should be all the motivation you need. The band's sound is embodied by "Unforgiveness," which lands near the middle of the track listing - the fasts are faster here, the vocals will raise the hairs on your arm and then after a breath or anticipation, DISSÖLVE the fiercest breakdown outro imaginable. But it's the whole damn thing and not just one track, it's blast after relentless blast for a solid half hour, and it's awesome. This tape from 2024 makes me feel alive and makes me feel like I have lived...which is putting that nostalgia to good use.



No comments:
Post a Comment