05 July 2024

THE TOURETTES

 



Hot in the heels of RAOOUL came THE TOURETTES featuring a post-LUMPS Jannelle Blarg on vocals. You open a demo with "A Fifth Of Whisky, And The World Is My Bitch" and you know folks are going to pay attention - attention that will be rewarded with nine bursts of snarky don't give a fuck marble mouthed East Bay punk. It's hard to not mention the recording - guitar is muddy as fuck and Janelle's voice is a shrieking trainwreck while the bass casually carries wildly infectious melodies and the drums are tight, crisp and forceful even when (especially when) they swing. It doesn't seem like it all fits together until "Hooked On Phonics" kicks off and...yeah, I'm hooked. I'm not going to read into the fact that "Hidden Keys To Loving Relationships" cuts off after ten seconds when the first side abruptly ends, but I'm about to revisit the single on Lookout! that never grabbed me. Didn't even know this existed until I was digging through some of Pat's stuff a while back, and I'm pretty sure these sounds will make it onto a future Copy Wright volume. 


No comments: